The Yemen Polling Center and the Yemen Policy Center have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Accounting Officer. If you are highly numerate and looking for an opportunity to work with a team of Yemenis to work on our financial systems and reporting, this is the ideal opportunity for you. We are looking for a candidate who is at home in Arabic and English and who is interested in working with a dynamic team of colleagues to meet the challenges of working within an international context.
The Yemen Polling Center is a non-governmental organization registered by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Labor in Yemen since December 2005. It is Yemen’s pioneer research organization and the custodian of the largest roster of field researchers. It was formed by a group of journalists, academics, researchers, epistemic and expert community, as well as volunteers who are eager to create positive change. Our overall objective is to provide evidence-based, nonpartisan, and unbiased research to help decision-makers enhance their understanding of priority issues in Yemen.
The Yemen Policy Center Germany e.V. is a young organization, largely made up of a young and ambitious team of Yemeni and German researchers committed to supporting Yemeni talent. We seek to influence Yemeni and international policy making to improve the living conditions of the Yemeni people and bring about a lasting peace. We support young Yemeni researchers by creating genuine opportunities for career development.
The primary responsibility of this position is to oversee the accounting, as well as the Budgeting, Grants and Contract function, and to develop and improve the financial systems and procedures relating to budgeting, grants and contracts. The main function of this position is to: support the development of donor-specific project budgets and necessary revisions; support in preparing accurate and timely monthly financial reports for projects; monitor project expenses against approved budgets; manage the communications on contractual issues with donors; ensure timely submission of financial reports to program managers and donors, and; make sure that all supporting documentation for financial reporting is complete. The position will also involve drafting, reviewing and modifying sub-grant agreements as well as ensuring the effective maintenance of all central grants and contracts’ files. The successful applicant will advise on project start-up contracting needs and provide strong guidance and support in project close-out procedures and reporting.
Other responsibilities include:
- Setting up the dashboard and accounting workspace in the organizational software (QuickBooks) according to needs and applicable regulations,
- Developing and updating necessary organizational financial and due diligence policies and memos,
- Maintaining detailed and comprehensive records of the organizations’ income and expenditures,
- Supporting proposal development and budgeting,
- Monitoring project expenditures,
- Assisting project managers in drafting financial, progress and donor reports according to the reporting schedule,
- Preparing correspondence and offering documents as requested to donors and clients,
- Drafting all quarterly, annual and other financial reports as required by donors and clients,
- Preparing the annual and estimated budgets and financial statements,
- Verifying and preparing invoices, receipts and purchase orders and ensuring proper coding, signature authority and strict adherence to applicable regulations and financial control systems are in place, consistent with the organizations’ policy and funder requirements,
- Managing the organizations’ cash flow, ensuring adequate availability of funds by managing a variety of tracking systems to comply with drawdown schedules,
- Preparing annual financial accounts for auditing and providing the auditor with information as required, and
- Preparing salaries, revising payments and presenting them to the Executive Director for approval.
- Ideally, though not essential, the candidate should have experience in supporting European Union funded programs, with knowledge and understanding of the requirements and procedures around budget monitoring, financial reporting, procurement and sub-granting,
- University degree in accounting or financial management,
- Excellent knowledge of accounting, budget handling and financial reporting,
- Around 2 to 5 years of work experience in international organizations, and
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Permanent contract, and
- Based on experience
Equal Opportunity Employer
We do not discriminate against candidates based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or genetic information.
To apply for this position, please send your résumé and a cover letter, detailing why you are suitable for the position, to [email protected]. The deadline for applications is 5 November 2023, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will be closed earlier if a suitable candidate is found at an earlier date. Suitable candidates will be contacted for an interview.